Post Number: 13984
|Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 2:31 pm: || |
I'm working on getting writers for the next quarter's Sabbath School Commentary at www.BibleStudiesforAdventists.com
In the introduction to the quarter's lessons (which are about the Fundamental Beliefs, by the way) the author says:
And though we must always be open to more light, a firm consensus on these beliefs is crucial to the unity and mission of the church. What has brought together millions of people from all over the world into a unified movement other than our shared doctrines?…The great controversy, and the issues it has generated, sets the stage for the plan of redemption, which underlies and permeates all 28 of our fundamental beliefs.
How many problems can you find in that quote? I notice a couple right away: they are "open to more light" (Scripture is obviously not sufficient), and the GC is what explains and shapes "the plan of redemption". What strikes me about that is that the Adventist "plan of redemption" is different from the biblical story of redemption.
Their GC-based "plan of redemption" is what underlies and determines all of the fundamental beliefs.
They can SAY they don't believe in EGW; people and pastors can SAY they don't teach or believe her...but they completely live within her view of reality. Adventism is completely shaped and determined by its great controversy notion.
This stuff looks worse and worse the more I see and the longer I am out of Adventism. It doesn't fade into neutrality; on the contrary, Adventism is only increasingly clear as a false gospel.
Post Number: 165
|Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 2:59 pm: || |
The GC provides the plan of redemption?! I thought it was God with Jesus as our Lord any Saviour.
Post Number: 27
|Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 5:34 pm: || |
We need to pray that the writers of these lessons will be able to reveal the truths of the Bible and the errors of EGW. Also pray that the Holy Spirit will guide those who are searching for truth that they will see the SDA Church for what it is.
Post Number: 9829
|Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 7:31 pm: || |
I pray for all adventists and their leaders. Adventism is clearly a false religion.
Post Number: 166
|Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 12:58 am: || |
The more I read that quote the more I find in it numerous errors. That is one heavy-duty statement.
Post Number: 8019
|Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 7:35 am: || |
Being open to 'more light' is what caused Adventism in the first place.
What the guy addresses in the statement is like eating a load of green apples then trying to get a firm consensus on why you have a stomach ache.
Post Number: 2750
|Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 9:09 am: || |
Well, I'm back in it working on the second week. I read the first day and highlighted so many problems in their first paragraph...well, I got the taste of the green apples but wasn't about to swallow. However, when I woke up this morning there was a real bad taste left in my mouth. Spiritual mouth wash comes to mind. However, I made do with my own fresh roasted coffee.
Post Number: 80
|Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 4:57 am: || |
1) "we must always be open to more light" - This was already addressed: as if we need more light than the Word of God, and especially not one that speaks opposite of that Word.
2) "a firm consensus on these beliefs is crucial to the unity and mission of the church" - These beliefs spoken of are not in line with Scripture. The unity is for the wrong reason and the mission is not God's. It sounds like whoever wrote this is scrambling for support, but that's just my opinion.
3) "What has brought together millions of people from all over the world into a unified movement other than our shared doctrines?" - i.e. the unbiblical traditions of men.
4) "The great controversy, and the issues it has generated, sets the stage for the plan of redemption." It sounds to me like they're saying redemption is a future event that has not yet occurred and that it is not available yet. That's not what the Bible says. Nor is the great controversy found anywhere in the Bible separate from the writings of Ellen White, a false prophet.
5) "...which underlies and permeates all 28 of our fundamental beliefs." - i.e. their beliefs are based on a foundation of falsehood.
That about sum it up?
Post Number: 1196
|Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 7:31 pm: || |
"What has brought together millions of people from all over the world into a unified movement other than our shared doctrines?"
This could also be written by a Mormon, JW, or scientologist.
In Christianity, believers are brought together by the guidance & teaching of the Holy Spirit through the Word He inspired.
I could grow old(er) picking out all the heresies in these two sentences!!!
Post Number: 246
|Posted on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 10:14 am: || |
So they admit it. Things have changed, they hid all that when I was a kid.
Post Number: 14000
|Posted on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 5:01 pm: || |
Amazing, isn't it?
Phil, I can't think of anything better to wash that bad taste of Adventist theology out of one's mouth than fresh roasted coffee!!