Post Number: 586
|Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 12:38 pm: || |
Hi everyone! I am hoping to compile testimonies from former Adventists of their experience in Adventism as Jr. High or High School students.
What I am NOT looking for is *detailed* stories of rebellion or sarcastic joking (both of which are real parts of our journey, but not helpful when trying to engage those who will encounter this kind of ministry for the first time).
The goal is to share stories that might resonate with kids today. Some areas that are likely similar to some extent are:
1) Thoughts of how God saw you
2) Understanding of the Trinity and how each person of the Trinity thought about you.
3) Feelings about your religion
4) Fears or stresses created by the doctrines
5) Experiences with mentors (good or bad-- these will be public so use discernment)
6) Thoughts about your salvation
7) Questions you never asked
8) Feelings about other Christians and how that played a role in your choosing friends or activities.
9) Events/people that God used in your youth to plant seeds and call you to Him.
If you have a teen who left with you who would be willing to share their experience this would be extremely helpful! Please, go check out the website to see a couple of teen testimonies already posted. One is Roy Tinker who is now an adult but reads his testimony about studying scripture with his parents as a Jr. High student. Another is from Aarika Shewmake and is a wonderfully written story of leaving her church and friends as a teen and walking toward Jesus and the truth of the gospel.
Another interesting perspective might be if any of you taught teens in Adventism and have any stories you would like to share that might be helpful to these teens who will be reading and lurking on the page.
Thank you to all who will help with this!! Here is a link to the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Former-Adventist-Teen-Fellowship/175149485914473
Post Number: 589
|Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 12:44 pm: || |
I'd like to add, this may be the first time these kids encounter anything related to a ministry for former Adventists, so please be gentle in your tone but absolutely be bold for Jesus! Remember the fear our elders planted in us at that age about being deceived by people like us. Please pray about what you share with them. Thank you!